Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways

I went down the street to get a newspaper today and it ate my money.  I was so mad, I had to drive all the way back home (like 6 blocks...I know, so far, right?!?!).  The whole way home I was internally cussing that machine for stealing my dollar and wasting my time.  I got home, grabbed my money and sped back to the paper machine.

When I got there, I noticed a young boy sitting on the bench.  He was visibly upset, but trying to hide it....as boys are.  I asked him if he was okay, and he kept telling me he was fine....but something in me would NOT let it go.  Finally, I threw the paper I got this time into the van and went and sat next to him.  The poor kid started crying and finally admitted to me that he had gotten into a fight with his older brother.  Then he showed me his hand with blood on it, when I asked where it came from...he showed me a small cut on his head.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

I asked if his parents were home, and he told me that he was alone with his brother when all this happened but that his Mom would be back in a minute.  He was not able to call his Mom, because his brother was guarding the phone.  I asked where she was, and he said that he did not know.  I asked him if I could call an ambulance for him, but he begged me not to....so instead, I took his mother's number.  And, of all days, I forgot my cell phone at home.  I asked if he wanted to ride with me, but he said he did not feel comfortable doing that...which props to him for being responsible.  He told me he was scared that his Mom would come looking for him and wouldn't find him.

So, against my better judgement, I left him there and sped back home for my cellphone.  I called his Mom, who was out shopping....and gave her a quick version of his story.  She told me she would be there in a moment, so I sped back down to stay with him.  I let him know his Mom was coming and that I would wait with him.  You could see him finally stop shaking, I am sure he was terrified that his brother might come down the street after him....and at least with me there, I had a car for a quick getaway.  His Mom showed up minutes later, apologized to me, and took over caring for her son.  She, you could tell, was headed home to "take care of business".

I am so greatful that the machine did such a nasty thing today.....that or I may not have had the opportunity to help this boy and who knows how long his Mom would have been gone, or if/when his brother would have come looking for him...not to mention the storm that rolled in 10 minutes after I got back home to stay. The Lord works in mysterious ways......we may not always understand what He is doing, but He always has a reason and a plan.  I know I forget that most days, but today was a good reminder.

2 comments: